Classification is one of the hardest parts of importing and exporting, and you may have some questions like: How do you know that the classifications used by your customs broker or freight forwarder are up-to-date? Do you know if you have any binding rulings with CBP? Do you know if there are similar products with binding rulings that you can review?
All of these questions and more will be answered during an upcoming workshop with the Illinois Small Business Development Center and presented by Mike Allocca of Allocca Enterprises.
- Understand how, why and when the Harmonized Tariff Schedule was created
- Learn what the General Rules of Interpretation (GRI) are and how they are used on every classification
- Review the roles of a customs broker, freight forwarder and importer/exporter of record
- Learn the difference between a Schedule B and HTS number
- Understand how to use the CROSS Customs Rulings Online Search System
- Review Chapter 98 for proper U.S. Goods returned/repairs/warranty classifications
- Go through the abbreviations for commodity classification and units of quantity/measure
- Determine the difference between duty, user fees, and antidumping/countervailing duties
- Review instructor & CBP based specific classification examples
Date: Tuesday, September 18, 2018
Time: 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM
Location: IHotel and Conference Center (Humanities Room) – 1900 S. First Street, Champaign, IL 61820
Cost: $150/person if you register before August 31st; $195/person starting September 1st.
RSVP: Registration and payment required to secure a spot – limited space available. Registration fee includes conference fees, materials, breakfast and lunch. RSVP online here or to Carly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This workshop is eligible for 6 NASBITE-CGBP Re-Certification CEUs.